UPDATED TIPS FOR VIRUS PREVENTION AND RECOVERY
GENERAL INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN ALL MEDIA OUTLETS:
(this is subject to change as we learn more)
as of 3-20-20
- Begin with the recommendations of the CDC, and your health department for hand washing, social distancing, and where to call if you get sick to get tested.
- In general, conditions with a lot of runny nose, body aches, stomach upset are NOT coronavirus.
- Coronavirus has an incubation period of 4 days, but usually there are 6-9 days before symptoms appear – the symptoms are related to deep lung infection, with cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, and so on.
- The virus can live on surfaces for 1 – 2 days. It is spread by respiratory droplets and fomites (objects passed from one person to another). It likes room temperature, dislikes high heat and freezing temperatures.
- People who become very sick with the virus are mostly in high risk groups (ages over 70, immune difficulties, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.) People in the 60s are at moderate risk for getting ill, especially with the above medical risk factors. It should be emphasized that the majority of people will not get very will. 80% tolerate the acute infection very well. Even for those who get symptoms, most will recover!
- Children actually for now seem protected, but we believe they can transmit the virus to high risk groups. (This is not yet well established).
- It appears that those who get sick, get sick because of extreme overgrowth of virus at the periphery of the lungs, plus overactive immune reactions to the virus, they get edema in the alveoli, which impedes oxygen absorption into the blood stream, and may go into ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), a lung reaction that is very serious.
- A watery and clear discharge of fluid leaks into the lung tissue, believed to be due to leaky capillaries. This provokes the inflammatory reaction. Trials with steroids and NSAIDS have shown to actually aggravate the condition, which is interesting, and shapes our recommendations.
- Individuals who have died have passed away not so much from hypoxia, but from kidney failure, liver issues, and most importantly late heart failure, often when off of ventilators and thought to be out of danger.
- This indicates that the major problem MAY BEcapillary leakage associated with overgrowth of virus in the lung, liver, kidney, and heart.
- Data from South Korea and Germany, AND CURRENT FIGURES FROM NEW YORK CITY, indicates that for low risk groups, mortality rates are significantly below 1%, (about 0.65%) which is still 6 – 7 times the mortality of the flu.
- “Flattening the curve” may improve mortality rates by allowing the health and hospital systems to catch up to the level of acuity of patients. There are simply not yet enough ventilators and ECMO machines in our system to handle all of the seriously ill patients that potentially could come through if everyone became sick at once. These machines lower mortality, but don’t eliminate it.
- There are currently some promising medications which may alter the natural course of the disease which are on fast track development. Vaccines are also in the process of being developed and tested, but are not likely to come on board until a year from now.
- Nevertheless, unless a vaccine, general levels of immunity, weakening of the virus with successive transmission (which usually happens over months to years), or some other measure is discovered and taken, there will still be some mortality from this virus.
- That is why I am listing some non-allopathic interventions that may help, and probably not hurt, you and your family’s chances of making it through this crisis in good shape.
SPECIFIC NON-ALLOPATHIC MEASURES YOU CAN TAKE THAT MAY REDUCE INFECTION OR COMPLICATIONS (COMMON TO MOST VIRUSES):
- Generally, the following herbal formulations seem to reduce overall viral issues – I have been recommending these for children and all those who are susceptible for years:
- Lauriciden (coconut derivative)
- Moducare (pine needle derivative) or pine needle extract.
- Mushroom complex capsules
- This year I have learned of andrographis (commonly used in Europe as an immune booster for the flu season).
- For all those with lung and respiratory issues (asthma, sinuses, allergies) I recommend NAC 500-600 mg twice daily.
- Alsoboost the levels of vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A.
- Dr. Alex Vasquez and Dr. Klinghardt are recommending vitamin Dlevels at 80-100 for virus protection. That is a whopping dose, but most people can safely tolerate 5,000 – 10,000 IU vitamin D 3 daily. Those at risk for osteoporosis should probably take vitamin K2 simultaneously.
- Vitamin Aneeds to be at good levels in the system for vitamin A to work during a viral infection. He recommends loading up with 100,000 units for 3 days for those who are low in A. During acute infection 25,000-50,000 units daily for NO MORE THAN 2 – 4 WEEKS. Vitamin A can accumulate in the body and cause cerebral spinal pressure boosts, liver problems, so it cannot be taken at high levels indefinitely. You should also be aware that many people cannot use vegetable formulations of vitamin A effectively, so beta carotene may not work for them in this protocol.
- Vitamin Ccan be taken in a variety of forms. The most commonly available form is oral vitamin C taken to intestinal tolerance. (2 – 6 gm per day).
- Zincat levels of 20 to 50 mg daily.
- Seleniumat 200 mcg daily.
- Licorice can also be helpful only in the prodrome of the illness in that it has been shown to diminish viral attachment to cells (but not for those with high blood pressure). However, as licorice also acts as a stimulant of corticosteroids it should not be taken once one has symptoms of illness. Candy licorice often has gluten, unfortunately. Licorice is available in tea, DGL preparations, and as licorice root.
- Ifan infection comes, aside from homeopathic preparations (not for this discussion).
- Boost vitamin C to 2 grams daily (may use liposomal preparations)
- Glutamine 5 – 9 grams split three times daily between meals.
- Silymarin (milk thistle)
- Fatty acids (cod liver oil is great)
- Dietary RNA.
- NAC 600 mg four times daily (the primary detoxifier of the lungs and mucus menbranes).
- At this point we do not advocate anti-inflammatory herbs until we understand what is happening better.
- To sterilize and protect surfaces, as I understand it, using hydrogen peroxide, bleach, iodine preparations, and nano-silver, and water purifiers (available from CleanPlusOnline.com), work much better than alcohol, and should be added to or supplemented for all surface sterilization and hand sanitizers.
- There are other measures which may help individual symptoms and health support, including homeopathy, Frequency Specific Microcurrent, etc. that I am happy to discuss not in a public forum.
LIFESTYLE PROVISIONS THAT HAVE SOME EVIDENCE FOR HELPING
- EATmodest amounts of healthy foods. Heavy meals overwhelm the digestive fire (agni) and lead to fevers and infectious diseases.
- AVOIDrefined sugars and carbs wherever possible.
- EXERCISEmoderately, not excessively
- MEDITATE,do yoga, tai chi, chi gong, and all modes that help you reduce toxic stress. Worry and stress are not good, but probably unavoidable this week.
- GO OUTin nature, breathe fresh air, get some sunshine. “Staying home” means don’t touch people or surfaces that might be infected unnecessarily. I still believe fresh air and sunlight are a plus for our health.
- AVOIDfrightening and worrisome news, people, and situations, if you can. Focus on peace, something much bigger than you that supports you, nourishing relationships, and lighthearted humor.
- EXERCISE MATURITY – most cultures have a mature view of events such as these. We have been very lucky here in the USA for a long time, and have not had to face a challenge where we cannot control the outcome in such a life and death situation. Our parents and grandparents faced many of these and have given us a great respite. It is now our time to stand tall, and exercise all the spiritual and mindful practices, taking appropriate action with ordinary courage.
- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE RESPITE –this feels to me like Mother Nature is telling us to stop the runaway hamster wheel of our culture, to stop and visit with ourselves and each other. Develop or use whatever spiritual practice or mindfulness that you know. Turn your home into an “I SEE YOU”not just an ICU. Sit down and visit with those who are living with you, if you have them.
THIS IS PROVIDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATION AND HEALTH SUPPORT ONLY – PLEASE CONSULT YOUR MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, CURRENT UPDATES, AND YOUR INNER GUIDANCE AND COMMON SENSE
BEFORE USING ANY OF THESE!!!
THE FDA HAS NOT EVALUATED ANY OF THESE RECOMMENDATIONS
Gene Nathan MD
P.S. I don’t sell any supplements on this list, nor do I have any economic stake in any who do.